Colonel Henry Regaby (after Sir Albert Regaby’s son. Sir Albert was chairman of the NWR 1915-1934) – the original loco to carry this name was No.303, which also carried green livery to commemorate the Colonel’s service in the Sodor Regiment.
North British Locomotive Co. (1935)
Purchased by NWR
After the Killdane accident in 1935, No.303 was written-off. At this time, the steel fireboxes on the ROD 2-8-0s were wearing out and a second motive power crisis loomed.
The story current at Crovan’s Gate Works is that Topham Hatt and William Stanier were apprentices together at Swindon, and that on at least one occasion, perhaps more, the future Sir Topham was able to help the future Sir William to escape the consequences of what might have been a serious scrape. The arrival of Stanier at the LMS in 1931 had marked the beginning of the end of the ill-feeling the LMS had toward the independent NWR.
Thus, Hatt was able to arrange the purchase of two 5MT and three 8F locomotives. These were built by the North British Locomotive Co. to drawings borrowed from Crewe (the LMS not being allowed to build locos for other companies). The NBL 5MTs were distinctive from the early LMS ones in having the top feed on the front ring of the boiler, a feature which would appear on the later LMS locos.
One of these, numbered 503, became the second ‘Colonel Henry Regaby’ and inherited the nameplates and lined green livery of its predecessor. No.504 was named “Sir Albert Regaby’ in honour of the recently retired chairman, and painted standard NWR blue.
Henry II is a standard Hornby ‘Black 5’ with the top feed on the front ring of the boiler. It was repainted green and lined out using Fox Transfers and was the first of the fleet to be done.
The livery is based on that worn by 5MT No.44932 in the early days of preservation at Carnforth.